Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

What's happening in the garden this week?

Big winds! It has been windy in many parts of Australia and we have got off pretty lightly here really, just lots of sticks coming down all around the yard, and a missing tarpaulin that I won't mention. We did however have a row of lattice that was supporting a Potato Vine blow away. The neighbouring property is about a half acre of vacant land, so the wind just gushes up against our fence. We were watching the fence rock back and forth and lamenting yet another fence needing to be repaired. I wasn't expecting to lose the lattice though. It is currently resting on my clothes line! I think the answer would be to just nail it all back up in place, but I'm not sure. It may just happen again.




Some death. I moved this Banksia from the front yard to the back, but I don't think it has survived the transplant. It is looking very crisp and dry at the moment. Might leave it awhile before removing it just to be totally sure it is not going to spring back to life.



Remember that new mystery shoot I mentioned a few posts back now? I am convinced a Nectarine seed has sprung to life from the compost contents I put into this bed. I noticed today that where hubby sawed a badly positioned Nectarine off at the stump, new life is springing forward and this shoot here looks identical to these ones sprouting at the stump.


Is this a Nectarine?

An early birthday gift for me ~ a Magnolia. It isn't much to look at currently, but I hope this will be a beautiful part of our garden in years to come. I have a spot earmarked in our front garden near our bedroom window for it. Currently another transplanted Grevillea is dying there, I seem to be good at killing natives. Now I know they really don't transplant well. Once I am sure it is un-savable, it will be removed to make way for this beautiful tree. I picked the one that most looked like the tree my Grandmother had growing in her garden, it is called Magnificence.


And now for some other snaps of things blooming around our home.  The Pride of Madeira (Echium Candicans) is close to blooming. We had one of these at our old house. I managed to select a white one from the nursery, I am hoping this is a blue one. To be honest I have come to dislike them. When we arrived here, there were five planted around the property. I have removed three of them. They are popping up everywhere though, so I can always change my mind.



Pine-leafed Geebung fruit.

Eremophila maculata

May be the same as previous photo?

Beautiful Grevillea

Honey gem?


No comments:

Post a Comment