Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

It was Wattle!

In one of my previous posts I wondered what plant this one was and whether it was a Wattle. Well it clearly is. I am really enjoying the Wattle this year, after previously paying little attention to it at all. It grows all through our suburb in all its varied and beautiful forms. I am finding myself really drawn to it and wanting to get to know the different types. Must see if there are any books at our library.



I did not know Pittosporums had flowers! Well I did know the sweet variety we have growing in our yard did, but not these screening type ones. The flowers are quite sweet, don't you think? We had these growing at our last place and I never once noticed flowers. Maybe not all types flower? These plants have gained very little height since I put them in. They are supposed to grow quite tall and fast, maybe mine have been concentrating on flowering instead.



Still wondering if this is an Azalea or not. It has a whole lot more new growth, but not a sign of a flower anywhere.  Maybe next year?



Looks like I have lost this passion fruit vine. It wasn't looking good after I first moved it, but then it perked up and was greening up and growing taller. The awful winds we had the other week battered it about and now it is looking very sad and sorry for itself. Maybe passion fruit just aren't meant to grow here. I will persist though, too soon to give up.


On a brighter note this Grevillea is bouncing back. This particular one was looking very sickly after we removed the prickly companion growing next to it. All this new growth peeking through the brown dead leaves has put a smile on my face. Grevilleas are such lovely plants to have about, a half dead looking one wasn't so nice though and considering I have killed a few of my natives recently, it's good to see this one isn't going the same way.



The other one is doing much better
 Lastly I thought I would share a photo of my raised flower bed. I got this wooden planter from Aldi and painted it with paint the previous owners left in the shed (can you see it matches the window frames?) I put Jonquil, Freesia and Daffodil bulbs in here to begin with. They have just about finished blooming now, so I added some Asiatic Lillies to the mix, you can see them coming up in between the others. At the very back I planted the Calendula seedlings my mother in law gave me. This bed will look quite sparse once the bulbs all retreat to the earth to renew, so I need to think what else I can grow in here.


No comments:

Post a Comment