Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Spraying the Nectarine

There was a Nectarine here when we arrived. It isn't in the best position and there were also another two growing in even worse spots, which makes me wonder if they self seeded from a compost? I will never know, but I am trying to give this one we have the best chance in providing us fruit.
It is positioned next to the Peppercorn tree and under a Gumtree and a Pittosporum. I have trimmed back the dead parts and tried to trim the surrounding trees as much as I can to give it more light.
I am new to fruit tree owning. I had them growing up but paid no attention to their care. I happened to catch an episode of Vasili's Garden back in June, where he gave directions on how to spray for leaf curl. I will explain the steps here.

First of all you need a teaspoon of Bluestone Copper Sulphate



Then two teaspoon of Hydrated Lime. 
Make sure you have the right Lime, ask at your gardening supplies store to be sure.



Measure out a litre of warm water and use some to mix the powders together.



Add the remainder of the water and pour it all into a spray bottle.



Spray the entire tree. This needs to be done once in June, once in July, once in August and twice a month in Spring. Stop once the flowers arrive.



Our Nectarine had some horrible leaf problems last year, let's hope this helps it this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment