Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Making new plants from old Part 2

Some more plants I wanted to add to my last post. These are plants from our front garden. We have a few clumps of these Dietes around this garden. They produce lovely flowers on long slender stems. A seed bulb forms and splits open dropping the seeds into the surrounding area. I have found many of these self seeded in the mulch. I have also collected the seeds, but have not tried striking them yet.

Dietes - Wild Iris

Self seeded Dietes

Here is a photo of the flower stem preparing to bloom. These will bloom again many times, so don't rush in and cut them all off like I did. It was only after doing this that I read up about them and discovered more flowers would come.

Flower on its way

Here is a photo of a new bloom emerging from an old stem. Great value flowering.

More blooms on old stems

The next four photos are of succulents I am trying to grow in the rockery at the front of our house. I don't know what any of these are called, so if you can help me out with some names I would appreciate it.


This one came from my mother in laws garden

This one lost all its leaves after I planted it. Looks like it is still alive though.

One I picked from plants growing outside our local Vet

This I believe has pink flowers. It came in a pot with Naked Ladies my mother in law gave me


No comments:

Post a Comment