Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

A vegie and fruit update




The nectarines are growing. They are getting bigger and darker and they are also getting eaten! I never realised they would need protecting at such a young age. Looks like the possums enjoy them small, green and hard. Starting to think I might not get any.
 

The pesky critters are also damaging the branches of the tree. I keep finding them snapped off all over the place. I wasn't prepared for this so early on in the season and we will pay the price now.


Hoping to have more luck with the Strawberries. looks like some fruit is setting already. Wonder what will beat me to eating these? I have already had to fish some slugs out.


I have noticed some new growth on the Kaffir Lime. Is this what colour the leaves are when they first appear? They took me by surprise.



A new member to our garden, a fig. My in-laws couldn't help themselves and gave us a new one, even though we have a cutting here already. I am sure we can find a place for another one though.


Remember the vegie seeds I planted a month ago? They have finally sprouted. These are the Cherry Tomatoes. I think next year I will either wait until it is warmer before sowing the seeds, or I will try raising them indoors. For a while there I didn't think they were ever going to come up.



These are the Capsicums

During the day I take the seedlings out of the greenhouse and give them some sun. I have a mixture of things here. Calendula, basil, lettuce and celery to name a few.
 

The Dill all came up. It's too had to transfer now though as they are tall and spindly, so looks like this lot will be wasted. I have sowed more seed but directly into the garden bed this time.



More rocket. This is the more shaded Eastern side bed. Each night I patrol for slugs with a torch as they hide amongst the ferns by day and attack at night. I would have no rocket left if I didn't do this.
 

I have made some space in the patio bed. Tidied up the overgrown mess and removed some of the rocket. I have hung the seeds up to see if I can dry them even though they are no longer on the plant. I mulched with compost here too. I have sewn some lettuce seeds in this spot and I am eagerly awaiting the first shoots.
 

We also have another raised bed in the garden. I don't think I have shown any photos of it yet. In this bed I planted cucumber seeds and I have about four viable plants. One is a bit touch and go at the moment. It dried out a bit, but new leaves are appearing so I think all is well.
 

I also planted Beans, but only two of these have grown. I have put more in, so fingers crossed we get more plants sometime soon.



Hubby bought two tomato plants from the nursery and I have now planted these out into the bed. I was waiting to make sure all cold weather had passed. I will put two of the best cherry tomato seedlings in here too once they are big enough.
 

I popped a couple of Nasturtium seeds in this bed too. I have gone Nasturtium crazy and have them planted all around our garden. I love the variety of colour and the speed in which they grow.



2 comments:

  1. I love your blog, I discovered it today :) I also love grabbing a torch and doing the nightime slug squish, it's very saitisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you! I have been dying for visitors. Your blog looks nice too. Looking forward to following it.

    ReplyDelete