Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Weekend work

We did some odd jobs in the garden this weekend. Hubby cleaned the leaves out of the pond and I managed to fall in it, Funniest Home Videos style. I stumbled on the edge and rocked in limbo for a moment before crashing in to the water. Our pond is about half a metre deep, so I went in up to my neck as I was horizontal by the time I splashed in. The children were quite worried about me, but I was ok, just drenched.

We also did some work to our raised bed. Hubby and his Dad built this bed from scraps we had been given. I worked hard to fill the bed with compost and good stuff and we are now starting to see some growth in there. This weekend we added the string to two of the sides and the bamboo stakes. The beans are starting to slowly climb so it felt like it was time to add some support for them. We have clumping bamboo growing in our front yard so we used that in the bed. It is great having bamboo, it is so versitile in the garden. We have tomatoes, onions, beans, cucumbers, beetroot, carrots, celery, corn, dill and nasturtiums in this bed.

Raised bed with new string supports


Bamboo stakes for extra support


View from the back


The other thing I did was to move my greenhouse to the back patio. I bought this one at Aldi. We don't really have anywhere flat enough for it to go, so it needs to sit on the paving. I had it in a sheltered spot on the East side of the house but it wasn't getting enough sun there. I am torn between it not getting warm enough in that spot, or having it here on the North side and cooking my plants. It is prone to blowing away also, hence the garbage bin and heavy pots around it.

My hot house.


My wonderful hubby brought me two of these stands home from work. They are on casters, so very easy to move. There is a third one, but it is on a non rolling base. Can't wait to grow something over these!

New stands


We also paid a visit to Aldi to buy some plants this weekend. Maybe I am mad, but we bought Kiwifruit. I have no idea where we will grow them, but we will work something out.


Male and female Kiwi fruit plants


While we were there I grabbed this Port Wine Magnolia. I am hoping the flowers will be a deep colour. The photo on the tag does not really indicate that, but you can live in hope. I think I will grow this one in a pot.

Port Wine Magnolia

Well that was our weekend in the garden. What did you get up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment