Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Monday Harvest!


Garlic

Finally I can join in on Monday Harvest as I have harvested something. Did it need to be harvested on Monday? I actually pulled it from the ground over the weekend, but am only posting about it now.
Garlic! I have never grown it before. I purchased some lovely organic Purple Rocambole garlic from someone who is in my milk co-op and as I got to the end of the bag and a few were shooting, I decided to pop them in the ground. I planted three in a pot and one under my Rose as I had read they are good companions. I didn't think too much about preparing the soil at the time and just watered them whenever I was watering the other plants. Recently I started to notice them yellowing and wondered what was happening. I got impatient and decided to pull the one out from under the Rose. It was tiny and non segmented. I presumed the rest would be. I left those, but the tops of them were now on the ground and looking a right mess. After watching Vasili's Garden last week I saw him mentioning that a lot of people were complaining about their garlic doing this. He mentioned too much water or not draining well. So I decided to pull them up and try again next year. I was pleasantly surprised to find that these ones were larger and segmented. I cannot wait to try them. Can I use it straight away, or does it need to hang for awhile?

Hanging on the hook with the lemon balm

No comments:

Post a Comment