Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Is that a water lily flower I see?

I haven't talked about our pond for awhile. Probably because it is looking so bad. I got a pleasant surprise yesterday when I spied this bud peaking up from the murky water. Is that a water lily flower on its way? It looks like it to me. The lily has not bloomed in all the time we have lived here. I started messing around with the pond recently after it began looking sick. By sick I mean that all the Azolla died back and the water looked stagnant. We haven't had rain for weeks and the pond has no fish in it, so maybe these things have combined to make the pond unwell. Maybe it was lacking oxygen and the Azolla choked it further. I decided a few weeks ago to start again with the pond and I began bailing the water out and onto our dying garden. I stopped leaving enough water for the plants that are growing in the pond. This particular lily came out of its pot when I tried 'fixing' it awhile ago now. I just left it free floating in the water. Now that the water is so low the lily has anchored its roots into the sludge at the bottom and it looks like it might be happy there as it is about to bloom. It will bring a little beauty to this otherwise ugly spot.



Below are some photos of what the pond currently looks like. You can see how close the gums are in some of the photos. If you know the names of any of the water plants, please let me know.

 









 











No comments:

Post a Comment